Hi,

I will try to answer, but I don't use Nessus, so I'm not sure what is
the exact reason of this fail.

In general, the SSG files are validated against SCAP XML schemas, so
they are valid SCAP content.
However, SCAP standard consist of multiple separate specifications.
Strictly speaking, the SSG datastream
doesn't conform to SCAP 1.2 specification, because the datastream
contains OVAL checks conforming to OVAL
version 5.11 which is a part of SCAP 1.3. For SCAP 1.2 conformance it
would need to use OVAL checks
in version 5.10 or older.

According to this forum thread, it seems that Nessus doesn't support
OVAL 5.11 it yet, but they say it's planned to be updated
https://community.tenable.com/s/question/0D5f200005hKRwqCAG/nessus-pro-7-trouble-getting-oval-scans-to-work

It could be a problem that Nessus expects datastreams that  contain
OVAL 5.10 only.
Try using the SSG datastreams that contain OVAL 5.10 only. They can be
downloaded from
https://github.com/ComplianceAsCode/content/releases/download/v0.1.43/scap-security-guide-0.1.43-oval-510.zip
I hope Nessus should be able to consume these files.

The reason why we use 5.11 is that it contains new checks that allows
us to check easily system services using systemd
and other new things introduced in RHEL 7. The aforementioned
datastreams that contain OVAL 5.10 only
have limited abilities in comparison with those containing OVAL 5.11.

Best Regards

Jan Černý
Security Technologies | Red Hat, Inc.