Derrick Brashear wrote:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Ken Hornstein <k...@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

I'm no ubik engineer, but as far as I understand it, the protocol was not
designed for even numbers of participating servers. For best results, three
or five servers seem to be optimum.

I hear this frequently, and don't see why it should be true.  The tie breaking mechanism during an election is simple.

Kim

There is a lot of misinformation about Ubik out there; the voting
protocol is actually not complicated, it's just not documented well.

it's actually well-documented, if you find Kazar's paper on Quorum Completion.

If your database servers are accessable via the Internet, we could take
a look at them via udebug.  Really, there are only a few things that can
go wrong; of all of the pieces of AFS, I think Ubik is one of the most
bulletproof.

There are a couple (unlikely) open issues; See RT.