The problem he's having (apparently I replied without replying all) is he's
wrapping uniquifiers, and
currently the volume package deals poorly, since ~1300 from maxuint plus
2000 plus 1 results in a number "less than the max uniquifier"

We need to decide whether OpenAFS should
1) compact the uniquifier space via the salvager (re-uniquifying all
outstanding vnodes save 1.1, presumably).
or
2) simply allow the uniquifier to wrap, removing the check for "less than
the max", but ensuring we skip 0 and 1. there will be no direct collisions
as no vnode can exist twice

either way, there is a slight chance a vnode,unique tuple which previously
existed may exist again.