On 12/23/2015 2:10 PM, Bruno Andrade wrote:
> Hi there
>
> We are looking for a cross-platform distributed file system that can
> pull together the disks from both Linux (Red hat and Ubuntu) servers and
> Windows (2008 and 2012)
>
> We know GlusterFS very well but GFS only works for linux based servers
> and we have SSD disks spread across both windows and linux machines that
> we wanted to put together into a pool of storage, and ideally, mount it
> as NFS in all servers, so our software can access the NFS mount point
> and write/read data.
>
> What we have is the following:
>
> 3 Windows servers with 6TB of SSD disks each (1TB each disk)
> 4 Ubuntu servers with 6TB of SSD disks each (1TB each)
>
> Ideally, we wanted to build a pool of storage with 42TB (combining all
> windows and linux servers), but without changing the windows servers to
> linux
>
> Is that possible with OpenAFS?

AFS provides a software defined file namespace that is independent of
the storage silos (partitions on file servers) within which the data
(known as volumes) are hosted.  It does this using its own network
protocols that are incompatible with NFSv3 or NFSv4 clients.  AFS
compatible clients are available from OpenAFS, Arla and AuriStor for
various platforms.  The AuriStor clients can be obtained from:

  https://www.auristor.com/filesystem/client-installers/

While it is possible to run an NFSv3 server and use it as a gateway to
the AFS file namespace doing so will hurt performance and prevent full
use of the AFS or AuriStor access control and security model.

OpenAFS does not have servers that run on Windows.  AuriStor, which has
its own network protocol but provides AFS client compatibility can run
its servers on Windows in addition to Linux, OSX and Solaris.  However,
RHEL7 is our preferred server platform for a variety of performance and
scalability reasons.

The strength of the AuriStor and AFS models are their ability to
logically abstract the file namespace from the underlying storage.  If
that is what you are seeking, then NFS based solutions are not what you
are looking for.

Jeffrey Altman