Hello,

We recently found that volume release and movement between file servers running
at two different sites fail frequently because the path MTU between the two
sites is smaller than the default value of 1500.

The failure happens particularly between a file server running 1.6.21 and a
file server running 1.6.22.3 on the other site. It does not seem to happen
between two file servers both running 1.6.21 on the two ends.

Although setting the file server's NIC mtu (e.g., in the file ifcfg-eth0) to
the true path max MTU value seems to be an ad-hoc solution, we notice that the
volserver has a new option of -rxmaxmtu in 1.8. The auristor version also has
the same option in its documentation. But the 1.6.x version does not.

Is there a plan to introduce this option into 1.6.x? Can someone provide any
background or history on this option for the volume server?

Thank you!

P.S., when the failure happens, we typically see a symptom like this: Probing
the sender with rxdebug at port 7005 shows an active connection to the receiver
with a flag of "has_output_packets". Probing the receiver at the same port does
not show the corresponding connection.

Best regards,
Ximeng (Simon) Guan, Ph.D.
Associate Principal Engineer