Hardware requirements are a switch that is capable of multicasting and
atleast 1 node.  More can be used if you desire.  The kernel must be
compiled to support IGMP multicast (which the F8 kernel is).  The
software in Fedora 8 is a bit dated.  If you want to play with failover,
you should consider looking at the trunk of the code which can be
obtained from subversion (a standard tool available on f8).

I'd suggest reading the developer page at:

http://www.openais.org

It is also possible here to download a somewhat dated version of the
trunk AMF development 0.82.

I would also suggest reading the SA Forum documentation regarding the
Availability Management Framework (AMF) and Checkpoint service:

http://www.saforum.org

Regards
-steve