On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:18:14PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> > . message latency, if that's even possible
>
> Reducing the time a token is held reduces latency.  So memcpy and malloc
> specials does reduce latency.  I don't have measures of how much,
> however.

That would be interesting to measure along with throughput, it's much more
relevant for applications doing coordination or locking via messages.

> > . recovery speed, this seems to be getting worse, things often hang for up
> >   to many seconds when nodes join or leave these days
> >
> With trunk you see 2 second lags?  I agree that the recovery engine
> needs work to allow background synchronization of data sets without
> blocking the entire cluster operation during the synchronization period.

I'll try to measure it, my impression has been that it can be much longer than
2 seconds, but I've not been paying close attention.

> > . stability with much shorter token timeouts, we currently use 10 seconds
> >   as default, and I know corosync should work well with something much
> >   shorter, it "just" needs testing/validation along with some diagnostic
> >   methods to figure out when you're using something too short
>
> yes with 16 nodes it should work with 100msec timeouts as long as the
> kernel doesn't take long locks.  I think all those bugs are fixed in
> dlm/gfs now however.  The 10 seconds in cluster 2 was to work around
> those essentially "kernel lockups".

There were a couple of spots in the kernel that were quickly fixed by calling
schedule, they were never a big problem.  IIRC the timeout was increased to 10
seconds because certain drivers or nics were doing resets which would stall
network i/o.  We were worried that that would be common in user environments,
but I doubt it.

> Perhaps we can get some QE effort around identifying a shorter default.

We need to choose something that works in our testing first.  I think we
should go ahead and change it to something like 2 seconds by default, and see
what happens.

> > . stability with clusters up to 32 nodes, with diagnostic capabilities to
> >   immediately pinpoint the cause of a breakdown
>
> This is a great idea, but the diags to pinpoint the cause are very
> difficult.  I don't have a clear picture of how they would be designed
> but we have kicked around some ideas.

Yes, this will require some careful analysis, both within corosync and the
networking layers... and extended access to 16-32 nodes.

Dave