On 2012-11-06 11:57, Chris Morley wrote:

>>> These are done through the various "table" classes. See src/data.cpp for
>>> examples (i.e., periodic table in OBElementTable).
>>>
>>> I can't remember -- aren't these basis set and functional-dependent? I
>>> think there's a similar problem for computed NMR shifts.
>>>
>> Yes they are, and I have a small table for the different methods
>> implemented in Gaussian, G2,G3,G4,CBS-QB3 for the most common atoms. One
>> needs experimental corrections too (sic!).
>>
>> Ok, I'll dig into the data.cpp. It seems that the data files in /data
>> are pretty much in any format... In that case I guess I can just drop
>> mine in their as well.

>>> I don't think anyone really uses the Gaussian energies. But I don't think
>>> this is an insurmountable problem.
>
> I know that Chris Morley, among others, would be very happy to get
> absolute heats of formation.
>
> Another program I am involved in (Mesmer) does this conversion, but I
> think it would be a generally useful addition to OB. The corrections
> sound interesting, and might help in making the black art of getting
> reliable numbers from comp chem a bit more transparent to non-experts
> like me. Does this need a more systematic way of recording the basis
> set/method information? When the numbers are used elsewhere this
> metadata really should accompany them.

There are series of paper about these methods. They are in principle
algorithms where the optimization is done in steps automatically, and
finally a single point at high level of theory is done (CCSD(T) for G4).
We have stored those corrections for the most common methods and atoms
in a text file, and also the experimental data. What will be obtained is
the heat of formation at 0K and 298.15K. This will only work for
particular methods and for any old QM method. We should probably have a
warning when people try to extract energies from a single Gaussian file,
since only differences are meaningful really.

The methods are described here:
http://www.gaussian.com/g_whitepap/thermo.htm

> Chris

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se