On 2013-01-17 18:20, Kirill Okhotnikov wrote:
> Dear Babel Developers,
>
> I decided to implement bzip2 pack/unpack functionality in open-babel
> (#91 bzip2 compression/decompression).
>
> I'm new in openbabel, so I want to discuss some things.
>
> 1) I decided to go for boost iostreams library. They have compressed
> gzip/bzip2 support in similar way, like implemented now in obabel. I
> think, that it will be good idea to have boost library to be required by
> the project (connected permanently). Some other boost libraries can be
> useful. For example, Program Options, Geometry, RegExp. In the future
> developers can easily use this powerful well known library.

I'm not sure that most developers would vote for an obligatory boost
library. Isn't it quite hard to compile on uncommon platforms?

Optional might be OK though, what do other people think?

> 2) Compressed stream is not supported tellg/seekg functions. So, some
> formats cannot be read. What should I do with it? May be add a property
> to format plug-in, that the format is not supported compressed streams.
Exit with a comprehensible warning makes most sense. For the Gaussian
format I implemented support for gzipped files by using normal C++ I/O
operations (rather than the old workaround that was in place). Why
wouldn't that work with bzip?

> 3) Can somebody help me to compile and test the system under MS Windows?
>

> Best,
> Kirill Okhotnikov.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se