When something goes wrong with Git, it can be difficult to fix
especially given that you have been working on the master rather than
a branch. What you describe here is not a rebase, but even so, it
doesn't explain why so many files are included.

What I would do to fix this is delete my Github repo (but not my local
repo obviously - or else all is lost), fork it again, check it out
locally as a different new repo, create a branch for this fix, reapply
my changes manually by looking at the diffs in my original local repo,
push the branch to a branch on Github, and submit a new pull request.

Unless Geoff or someone else has a better suggestion...

- Noel