Hi all,

Very few PRs come with test cases. Basically, we just don't know if any of
them do what they say, and even if they do, they probably will bit rot at a
future date due to other PRs. The irony is that the person who wrote the
code clearly tested it (one would assume) - but just didn't check in the
test case. I would argue that the majority of developer time spent on Open
Babel is on fixing bugs (or bitrotted code) which would never have existed
in the first place if a test had been added.

When I refactored the code to handle implict valence, I relied on the small
number of existing tests to help return the code back to its preexisting
state. Anything that wasn't tested may (still) not be working. For example,
recently David Koes found that my changes broke the PDBQT format.

In short, I propose that we require a testcase for every PR. There may be
special circumstances (huge test files, build system changes), but this
would be the general rule. As a lower bar, one could imagine requiring them
for every new feature implemented.

Regards,
- Noel