On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 at 17:59, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
> There are a few patches and pull requests asking for C++11 support in
> Open Babel.
>
> My main question is when we "pull the plug" on older compilers.
>
> Pro - drop older compilers for 3.0 since we're dropping a bunch of
> backwards compatibility Con - we're changing a lot of other stuff, let
> older compilers still use OB-3.0
>
> From what I can tell, gcc-4.8 supports C++11 going back to mid-2013,
> but I'm not sure what distros have older compilers (e.g., CentOS).

FWIW, RHEL/CentOS 7 have gcc-4.8.5 and 7.3.1 and 8.3.1 are available
via devtoolset-7 and devtoolset-8 SCLs, respectively.

Actually, the above devtoolsets are available for RHEL/CentOS 6, too.
So, if you still care about that old distro, you don't have to rely
on its base gcc-4.4.7 version.

Regards,
Dominik
--