> Hi! I am trying to run obenergy on the TERRA Quadruplex (PDB Code 3IBK) and I
> am having trouble getting MMFF94 force field to calculate the energy. I am
> not sure what is causing this problem (I have only basic knowledge in
> computational chemistry) and I was wondering if any of you can help me out.
>
> SETTING UP BOND CALCULATIONS...
>   USING EMPIRICAL RULE FOR BOND STRETCHING 1-2 (IDX)...
>    COULD NOT FIND PARAMETERS FOR BOND 58-522 (IDX)...
> obenergy: could not setup force field.

This PDB file is very strange. It gives a CONECT record (i.e., a bond) between
the K cation (atom 58) and an oxygen (atom 522). Not surprisingly, GAFF and
MMFF94 flag this as an error.

I don't know the best solution, but I would look around to see if someone has
defined a "real" topology for this PDB file, or I'd open it in a program like
PyMol or Avogadro and remove all bonds to the K atoms and save the result as a
Mol2 or CML file which better defines the accurate bonding in this system.

In this case, I think it's clear that Open Babel is doing essentially The Right
Thing and flagging an error before you get erroneous results.

Hope that helps,
-Geoff