On 05/07/2013 17:54, Brett T. Hannigan wrote:
> I have a database of molecules in pdb files.  I'd like to go through
> each molecule and see if it has certain substructures, and if they do
> identify which atoms are part of that substructure.  So it's easy enough
> to read the pdb file in, convert it to SMILES representation, and then
> do a SMARTS query to look for my substructures.  However, if the SMARTS
> query reports that the substructure is present in the molecule, I'm not
> sure how to identify the atoms in the pdb file which make up the match.
>   Any ideas?

If you just want to visualize this and the substructures can represented
by SMILES, put them in a file, and try

   obabel *.pdb -O out.svg -s substructs.smi green

Only those molecules containing at least one substructure are displayed
and the matched atoms are displayed colored green. If additional colors
are specified in the command, each substructure can have its own color.
For more details
   obabel -L ops s

To do more you will need to use OBSmartsPattern in C++, python, etc.
http://openbabel.org/api/2.3/classOpenBabel_1_1OBSmartsPattern.shtml

Chris