Found the issue:

I recently installed Avogadro which ships with a different version of
openbabel-2.dll. Because Avogadro adds PATH information to System variables
in contrast to OpenBabel which uses user variables for PATH, the
openbabel-2.dll in Avogadro is picked up first.

My solution is to manually add the path to the openbabel installation to
System PATH BEFORE Avogadro.