Hi,

I have been trying install python bindings for openbabel 2.4.1 on
Ubunut16.04 with python 3.5.2 (installed via Anaconda) but haven't been able
to get it working. Here's what I have tried so far:

Based on David Hall's post in this thread:

$ git clone https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel.git
$ cd openbabel
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake .. -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3 -DPYTHON_BINDINGS=ON
-DRUN_SWIG=ON
$ grep '^PYTHON' CMakeCache.txt

And then followed the steps given on openbabel docs
(https://open-babel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Installation/install.html#compile-bindings)

$ cmake ../openbabel-2.3.2 -DPYTHON_BINDINGS=ON
$ make
# make install
$ export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib:$PYTHONPATH

All commands seemed to run smoothly (python3-dev is installed). But when I
use python shell through terminal:

sgupta78@sgupta78:~$ python
imPython 3.5.2 |Anaconda 4.1.1 (64-bit)| (default, Jul  2 2016, 17:53:06)
[GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-1)] on linux
>>> import openbabel
>>> mol = openbabel.OBMol()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: module 'openbabel' has no attribute 'OBMol'

import openbabel was successful *but none of the functions in openbabel
module are being recognized*. As shown above it's raising AttributeError. Is
there something that I missed during installation steps shown above?

Secondly, when I ran a simple script [just to test OBMol() ] stored in  a
sub-folder of home directory, *even the import openbabel failed*. This
possibly means that the environment variables haven't been set. I assumed
that cmake and export steps above possibly take care of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanjan