Thanks for your reply.
When I read openbabel document, I just find  the 2.3.1 version.
(http://openbabel.org/docs/current/ )
 So, where can I get the document of 2.4.1?

Best,
Baohua

At 2018-04-26 22:16:44, "Craig James" <cja...@emolecules.com> wrote:

The problem is that there is no "correct" answer to your question. The
specifications for the MOL format doesn't include a clear definition of the
assumed valence of each atomic element. So when you specify 5 hydrogens in the
file instead of six, but no "M RAD" line, does it mean it's a radical? Or does
it mean that you just specified 5 hydrogens for some other reason? The MOL
specification is ambiguous.

That is why the "M RAD" line is necessary when specifying radicals. Consider
this example: You draw a molecule with one stereo center, and in order to get
the stereochemistry right, your MOL file contains one H atom. Does that mean
that all of the other carbon atoms in your molecule are radicals? No, of course
not.  Specifying one H atom in a MOL file does not mean that you have specified
all hydrogens.

The OpenBabel 2.4.1 interpretation of your MOL file is more correct than the
2.3.1 interpretation. Use "M RAD" if you are specifying radicals.

By contrast, the SMILES specification is very clear about valence assumptions
and the meaning of hydrogen atoms. If you want to specify a radical, you have
to put the hydrogen inside the carbon atom's brackets, e.g. "C[CH2]". When you
put a hydrogen as a separate atom, e.g. "CC([H])[H]", it is not a radical, and
the canonical SMILES is "CC". When Weininger wrote the original SMILES
specification, he recognized this deficiency in the MOL specification and
wanted to make sure SMILES didn't have this ambiguity.

Best,
Craig