I found that OpenBabel can convert .xyz files to SMILES strings, which
means that it must be using some sort of heuristic to determine the
connectivity of a molecule based on distances and nuclear charges.

I've been trying to find references to the specific algorithm implemented
but I couldn't find anything, and I haven't been able to find the code that
does this conversion in github (probably because I'm not too familiar with
the repo, It should be there somewhere right?).

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding
this, since its a very useful feature I would like to use, and I would like
to be more familiar with its inner workings to check how reliable/robust it
is, and what approximations its making.

Best,

Ignacio