On 2014-09-11, doug <alt-m...@spiug.me.uk> wrote:
> I am trying to install openbsd 5.5 amd64, on a new machine with an
> 'ASRock Z97M OC' mainboard.
> The onboard lan is a 'Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200' 1Gb lan.
>
> The problem
>
> during installation the only option for available network interfaces is
> vlan0
>

> I presume this means that the E2200 isn't being recognised,
> is there a simple way to get it recognised?

It looks like it's probably not all that simple; other OS supporting this
card have a different driver for it than the earlier Atheros NICs (e.g.
age(4), ale(4), alc(4) on OpenBSD).

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx
https://github.com/markjdb/alx-freebsd

However style of this code isn't great and they try to support both
Linux and FreeBSD with the same codebase which doesn't usually make for
a nice clean driver.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/272498

There is a chance one of the existing drivers could be adapted but
nobody seems to have done that on other OS so I don't see any existing
work to crib from.

Best thing to do at this point is probably to use a separate NIC for
now and send a dmesg (copied via USB or with another NIC) to misc@.

> I have tried searching for the supported network card list for openbsd
> but can't seem to find it on the web, is it still maintained?

Nobody has managed to keep it reliably up-to-date so it was removed,
best bet is to identify the PCI ID and look it up in sys/dev/pci/pcidevs
than grep the kernel source to see if it's used. Second-best is to
look up the part number of the NIC chip in manpages, though this is a
bit less reliable.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=e2200&apropos=0&sec=4&arch=default&manpath=OpenBSD-current

Or ask on misc@.

> on both my previous OBSD builds (several years back) I had to get a
> separate ethernet card, I'm hoping this isn't the case for my new build.

I think this may be the case for now.