On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 01:23:22PM BST, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:
> so... what is actually the difference between apm and apmd in
> /etc/rc.conf.local ?

I can only quote the man page... and you should read it :^)

man 8 rc.conf

[...]
All of these variables follow the format “daemon_flags” where daemon is
the name of one of the rc.d(8) daemon control scripts.  The list of base
system daemons, including the information whether they are enabled by
default, can be displayed with this command:

        grep _flags /etc/rc.conf
[...]

> My mistake was to think that apmd would actually be running if I had
> apm_flags in there...

What made you think that?

Regards,

Raf