indeed, I was not in the staff group... I added myself:

cat /etc/group | grep staff
staff:*:20:root,pau

rebooted and... same problem:

Cannot increase datasize-cur to at least 716800
Do you want to run Chromium anyway?
(If you don't increase these limits, Chromium might fail to work properly.)

What is the default set up for a user added during installation? I
added myself later...