Hi Til and Damon-

Many thanks for your replies!

I finally made it all the way through Kevin Mitcham's OpenCA Cookbook at

In doing so, I think I discovered a few mistakes, and in the near
future, I'll be documenting those in some form or another.

What would be the best way to do this?  Should I generate my own
cookbook modeled after his but including the steps that I found to be
necessary which were not included in his cookbook?  Then post this
document to the list?  Would that be best or something different?

It turns out that my original problem as reported in this thread came
about because Kevin apparently left out the step to export the
configuration, and Damon explained how to do this.  Once I did that,
following the rest of Kevin's cookbook worked fine.

With an operational two-interface setup with both CA and RA running in
different directories on one Gentoo Linux box, I think I'll be much
better able to learn all the concepts involved with operating a CA.

It is now my intent to read through the entire guide again with extra
special attention this time to the concepts part and to actually use the
software simultaneously and thus hopefully improve my understanding of
everything in the process.

Ultimately, I plan to set myself up similarly to what Damon described
for himself (two computers, one running the RA functions and connected,
the other running CA functions and disconnected) with OpenBSD as the OS
for both computers.  I tried a two-interface setup on one OpenBSD box
already and was stymied by a couple of things but perhaps with a better
understanding from experimenting with a working OpenCA installation,
I'll have better success next time.

To Michael Bell: many thanks to you for your frequent assistance to me
and for making the changes in the code that were apparently necessary
for proper installation and operation on OpenBSD.

Thank you List!

-Kevin