Step 2 is used by step 4 (it is a bit obfuscated by the helper ure-add-rules, which creates a MemberLink between the rule name and the rule base).

In practice, the only reason we need is to store the rule name in the AtomSpace (the scheme rule name alone isn't loaded in the atomspace). And this is only used to store the inference trace. Actually only the forward chainer needs that, the backward chainer uses formula names instead. I don't know at this point if we can afford to drop the rule name so I prefer to let it there.

Nil