SUMO uses partitions

http://sigma.ontologyportal.org:8080/sigma/Browse.jsp?kb=SUMO&lang=EnglishLanguage&flang=SUO-KIF&term=partition

it feels right we'd have a partition link (which is just a shorthand for exclusion * completeness as Ben said).

As mentioned earlier, there are several problems with this format.  One is
the "oops I forgot to mention xyz in the list" or "gosh I should have left
out pqr" and this becomes a big problem:  you have to delete the
PartitionLink, delete the ListLink, create a new list and partition.  In the
meanwhile, some other subsystem might be holding a handle to the old,
now-wrong PartitionLink, and there is no effective way of announcing "hey
stop using that old thing, get my new thing now".

This is a recurrent problem, but I think that if a partition turns out to be false then its TV can be brought down, and a new partitioning fact can be created with a high TV.

Nil

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/c512a3fc-78c4-4bf1-a73f-5551a933d664%40gmail.com.