Thank you. I did some other experiments and managed to make this deduction:
I did not have Ant installed when I built the platform. I only discovered
that when I went in to hand build the linkgrammar.jar
But, that led to this: it apparently did not install the JNI stuff; there
is no /usr/lib/jni or /usr/local/lib/jni directory.

With Ant installed, I tried to run make install again on LinkGrammar - you
can tell I'm not a *nix pro - and it says 'nothing to do'

So, I am wondering what is the work around to coax it to install the
java-jni bindings - if, indeed, they are needed.

Many thanks
-jack

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/d38f7676-c25e-4341-851a-fbb0d40556de%40googlegroups.com.