Excellent.  I've checked this in with slight modifications ( moved the
goto error up with the getenv(DXDATA)).
While we're on patches, patch Greg's surname to Abram.

A opendx-dev broadcast of the cvs commit message is lacking, I suspect
as an unwanted side-effect of our anti-spam measures.

At least one person in this project should be running a heap debugger
(e.g. purify) routinely. What do people use for linux?

Thanks again,
Pete