> Richard,
> Our configure shouldn't define USHORT if there is an existing definition.
> I have seen this sort of thing happen when configure "finds" cpp as the C
> preprocessor and runs configure tests with cpp.  Various defines (e.g.
> -Dsgi) that occur by default with cc are not set.  System include files
> testing e.g. "sgi" will give different results than when make invokes cc to
> compile.
>
> Bottom line is, if this is the case, setting
> CPPFLAGS=-Dsgi
> prior to configure will cure the problem. ...

None of the environment variables help. I've even tried a clean
rebuild starting with CVS Make. I can edit the lines out of
dxconfig.h, of course, but I'd like to get it to work properly. It
does look like configure is using cpp. Here's a strange result.
It finds some "install"  script elsewhere that was used to build a different
software package (cns_solve) on a different disk partition. Could it
be reading a cached version from somewhere else?? Very odd.
Here are the first few lines of the configure output:

> configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached)
/aux/local/cns_solve_1.0/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether large file support needs explicit enabling... yes
checking architecture type... (cached) sgi
checking architecture specific stuff... done
checking for csh... (cached) 1
checking for a BSD compatible install... /aux/local/cns_solve_1.0/bin/install -c

checking for ranlib... (cached) :
checking for c++... (cached) CC
checking whether the C++ compiler (CC   ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (CC   ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... (cached) no
checking whether CC accepts -g... (cached) no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... (cached)
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc   ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc   ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) no
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp