So you no longer need to set the -e flag to set the entry point? Does the file dxexec.exp work as a -bE file if you change the first line to #!. I guess what I'm asking is can you fix dxexec.exp to work for both import and export? AIX is the only one that uses the .exp file. What does the -G option do?

David

David,

I am sending instructions related to AIX and C++ modules.

BUILDING MODULES
----------------

I am building C++ modules, so I figured the options for the xlC
compiler.  I tested these options and they work on POWER-based AIX
5.1.  The command that builds a module is:

xlC -G -qmkshrobj -bI:/path_to_dx/lib/dxexec.imp -o libour_module.so <list of object files or libraries>

The IBM docs say that a C module should be built this way, but I did
not test it:

cc -G -bI:/path_to_dx/lib/dxexec.imp -o libour_module.so <list of object files or libraries>

CHANGES TO OPENDX
-----------------

ATTENTION!  Notice that above is an extra file introduced:
"dxexec.imp".  This file is just a modification of the
/path_to_dx/lib/dxexec.exp file: the first line of the file (which is
"#!") should be changed to "#!.".  So it seems that there must be
another file added to OpenDX that is only for AIX.  That's a bummer,
but for now I don't see another solution.

My another instruction is to remove the first few lines at the very
beginning of the dxexec.exp file, because the dxexec.exp doesn't have
to have directives (lines beginning with "#!"), it should be a file
only with names of exported symbols.  Apparently the directive "#!"
that is at the beginning of the dxexec.exp file does not hurt, because
OpenDX builds fine.  My guess is that initially the dxhdf5.exp file
was meant as both the import and export file.  Now that apparently (I
am not sure) IBM made changes to their compilers, these files have to
be separate for OpenDX.

You need to apply the patch I sent you to the loader.c file.

The way of building dxexec need not be changed.

Now, the changes mentioned above work on the computer I am using.  I
don't know if they are right for other versions of AIX, because I
don't have access to other AIX computers.

I'll look into other projects that support AIX: Perl, PHP, Apache and
Python to see how they handle AIX.  I want Libtool to work right with
our modules on AIX, so I'll work on this too.  When I get more
information, I will write you another e-mail.

Irek