David Thompson wrote:

> The problem is, you are trying to pass general LDFLAGS and general
> CFLAGS in on X only includes and libs. Instead of using --x-includes and
> --x-libraries, do the following:
>
> ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
> CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/lib -I/usr/X11R6/include" --prefix=/opt
>
> configure will only apply the --x- flags to the X checks none of the
> others.

Understood.
But please do not ignore the bug we discovered in this discussion:

The configure script adds automatically "-I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
when doing X and Motif related checks, but does NOT add them when checking for
GL libs. This is not correct and should be fixed (see my patch to configure.ac),
instead of suggesting the above.

That I have most additional software in /usr/local, is my problem and I will
have to tell configure accordingly indeed.

Regards,
Rob.