I am having a problem with using colors as a string,
rather than the rgb value, which I have working.
I found one page
http://opendx.npaci.edu/docs/html/pages/refgu033.htm#FIGCOLMAP
on which it is discussed, but I don't quite understand
what is wrong with this.
Thanks,

#/usr/local/dx/lib/colors.txt
# Positions array.
object "position list" class array type float rank 1
shape 3 items 8
data follows
0 0 0 # point number 0
10 0 0 # point number 1
10 10 0 # point number 2
0 10 0 # point number 3
20 20 0 # point number 4
80 20 0 # point number 5
80 80 0 # point number 6
20 80 0 # point number 7

#
#  Edges array.
object "edge list" class array type int rank 0 items 8
 data follows
  0  1  2  3 # edge point index 0
  4  5  6  7 # edge point index 1
attribute "ref" string "positions"

#
#  Loops array.
object "loop list" class array type int rank 0 items 2
 data follows
 0 # loop index 0
 4 # loop index 1
attribute "ref" string "edges"

#
#  Faces array.
object "face list" class array type int rank 0 items 2
 data follows
0
1
attribute "ref" string "loops"

#
#  data array. Dependent on faces.
object "color list" class array type string rank 1
shape6 items 2
 data follows
"red"         # rgb
"blue"        # rgb
attribute "dep" string "faces"

object "data" class array type float rank 0 items 2
 data follows
0 #
0 #
attribute "dep" string "faces"

#
#  Field definition to put the arrays together.
object "map" class field
   component "positions"    "position list"
   component "edges"        "edge list"
   component "loops"        "loop list"
   component "faces"        "face list"
   component "colors"       "color list"
   component "data"         "data"
end

--------------------
Starting DX executive
Memory cache will use 2046 MB (126 for small items,
1920 for large)
port = 1900
 0:  worker here [131664]
server: accepted connection from client
Begin Execution
Object Description:
Input object is a Field, the basic data carrying
structure in DX.
The Field contains nothing marked as data items.
If the Field does contain data under another name, use
the `Mark' module
to select what should be used as data.
The positions are enclosed within the box defined by
the corner points:
[ 0 0 0 ] and [ 80 80 0 ]
Input is not ready to be rendered because the Input
contained Fields with an unsupported `color' component
format.
Begin Execution
Use the `Color', `AutoColor', or `AutoGreyScale' to
create a valid `color' component.

ECHO:
Begin Execution
ERROR: Image: Display:  Invalid data: colors component
has bad type