On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 16:23, Kent Eschenberg wrote:

> Xlib and Xt support a mechanism for setting UI parameters in the code and
> from files. Application defaults are stored in a place like
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults. A user can override these with a
> home-directory file like .Xdefaults or .Xresource. For example, I use this
> method to heavily modify the xemacs UI.
>
> Does DX use the Xlib or Xt resource management system? Does it load a file?
> Which section of code deals with this area?
Yup.  ...but there isn't really a specific section of code.  As you
suggest, it's just the way Xt works.  Most of the widgets' resource
settings use the mechanism.  Just look in the top of any .C file
for something like String DefaultResources[] = {.  Any such thing
can be overridden in ~/DX.

See the attached file.  You can place the contents in ~/DX.  You
could probably also place it anyplace else that's in the libXt
search path for such things.

Caution:  Fonts are just a little bit tricky.  The problem is that
your font size affects the x,y,width & height of nodes in the
vpe and interactors in control panels.  If you save a .net/.cfg
with modified fonts, then give the net to someone else who doesn't
have modified fonts, that person might have a hard time reading
what you wrote.  Even if you change only the font family and not
the point size control panels can get messed up because they have
that bumper car thing going on.  Changing the point size of fonts
used only by the ui and not by vpe nodes and control panel interactors,
should work fine as long as the change is only a few points.

Colors are cumbersome but that's only because there are about a
dozen different ones.  ...although foreground and background are
easy.  You would have to do a bunch of grepping and experimenting
if you wanted to change the colors used for nodes in the vpe.
Required,optional tab colors, errors, warnings, highlight.  There's
a whole bunch of colors there.

Martin