1. Users Reference Guide and/or Context-sensitive Help (click the ? on the Format module) should point you to the proper format. The template comes first (first input, or hard-coded inside the configuration dialog box), followed by arguments, like the extracted value. It's like C's printf function, more or less.

2. Pick anywhere NOT on the scene objects to clear the Pick.

3. Now you'll be needing that extra bonus trick I mentioned.
Add Inquire("is not empty") (or "is not null")--I can never remember which it is until I hook it up and run it.
Feed the Pick to Inquire. Also feed the same Pick to the second input of Route.
Feed the output of Inquire to the 1st input of the same Route.
Then take the output of Route to Extract, disconnecting the output of Pick that you have now.
In other words, Inquire determines if there is a Pick or not, then Route either shuts it off if no pick (Inquire returns 0), or passes it if there is a Pick (Inquire = 1). No pesky error messages when the Pick is empty (or null, whatever).