What is the object you are applying ShowBoundary to? If it is already a polygon, ShowBoundary will give back only the outer 'lines' around the edge, thus there is no surface, thus you'd see through the empty space. If it is a volume, you get a polygonal surface which should be opaque by default (adding Color/opacity would be useful if you wanted to make it partially transparent, but it sounds like you don't). Point is, you don't need to tell DX to perform an operation to generate polygons if the input is already polygonal; it just renders them for you.
Chris Pelkie
Vice President (607) 257-8335
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive