As David says, no easy answer.

However, there is an approach that allows one to
click on an object and find all connected parts.
This was originally done by Ed Farrell (an IBM DXer
from the mid 90s). We (and Marilyn at NYU) have
used derivatives of this to allow the removal or
inclusion of disjoint parts of an isosurface from
Isosurface().

If this would be of value, I can dig up the module
and post it.  But it does require one to manually
click on each object to select it (in your case, to
color it as desired).

Mike