Looks like no one took this one on. I was on vacation when you first wrote.

Personally, I tend to prefer lots of small modular files. However, these need not be standalone files if they share the same grid and/or positions: those can be 1 or 2 additional files.
So you can easily create a field_01.dx file that references a field_positions.dx and a field_connections.dx (common to all time steps) and that field_01.dx file can directly contain as many "data'-like components as you need, attached to those pos and conns. Then you end up with lots of individual fields which can be easily assembled by one series.dx file, which consists of nothing more than references to field_01.dx, field_02.dx and so on. This also permits making quick test series that contain only the first 2-3 files or every 10th file or whatever. In extremely large time series, this is very convenient!

Not sure what other problems you are having: do you have 3D positions that appear to lie on the sphere? If not, use your lat-lon values and deform them from rectangular to spherical polar: the 2D mesh will be transformed along with the positions. If you have many vectors along +-90 lat, you'll get a mess at the poles. You might need to average their values, then use invalid positions to eliminate all but 1 for clarity in the vector glyph plot you propose.