Hi,

Although I find Mohamed's approach pretty exhaustive, I'm not sure one
could comprehensively talk about this during a TV show. These are pretty
thorough and high-voltage questions which, when approached in this very
quick&dirty way as during a TV show, repel the people and give them the
impression everything is so complicated and doesn't concern them at all.

You need to find a much more "low-level" approach, so to speak. Which may
be: what is censorship, why do I need to circumvent it, and how does the
govt know what to censor?

These are three pretty different yet intimately related questions. You need
to explain why the govt (or a company) may want to censor content on the
web. In the case of a company, for instance, the censorship may be
explained by "we block Facebook cuz we don't want our employees to waste
their time there", which will be considered as OK by most of the people. If
you speak of govts censoring politically-motivated content, you need to
*really* well define in which cases this happens.

Then, this immediately calls the question of circumvention. Many will react
that the company has the right to do so, and that there is nothing you can
do legally, so you are actually infringing your work contract by
circumventing. This is a defendable or not position, you can discuss it,
but the conditions are that you do have a contract with a company which
rules this kinds of things as well. The question is much trickier when it
boils down to politically motivated censorship. What is it? How do you
prove it so? No need to go in China: have a look at Qatar, KSA, Bahrain,
UAE, keda. In the case of govt censoring politically incorrect content and
the circumvention of such censorship are clearly a form of disobedience.
This is a point people don't always get: they'll just mock the officials as
idiots and tell them "I can use a proxy". Sure, but this is a somewhat dull
reaction...

Which brings the question of surveillance, right. Which is imho THE issue
when it comes to censorship. Censoring content is the consequence of the
govt/company knowing your internet habits. How do they know this? Aslan, by
spying you... Do I need to tell the story about FinFisher? Or Ammar 404 in
Tunisia? Etc. This part of the story is something people don't think of at
all. Or when you talk to them, they generally react as: "well, I have
nothing to hide, so they can always have a look". Which is wrong. You need
to argue on this to make the point of the red line that must not be crossed
by the govt when it boils down to people's personal communications. (Again,
for the company, it is different cuz one can assume that your workstations
belongs to the company, so if they want to dig your web browsing while you
work on this station, it is their right. Whether one finds this cool or not
is a totally different question.)

Lastly, if you want to speak of copyright-motivated censorship, I do advise
you to adopt a vocabulary that speaks to anyone, and to have a few very
easy-to-get examples. Yet this part is really tricky as copyright-based
internet regulations are a nightmare and don't really concern Egypt thus
far. I'd much more get into a discussion of cybercrime provisions (see
Iraq, UAE), the ongoing discussions around the EU Directive on the topic +
the EU Data Protection directive that is being reformed atm, CISPA in the
USA. These all touch to -- putting it simply -- transposing the penal laws
that govern our everyday offline life to the transborder and governmentless
internet. With this respect, you may be interested to get the troll going
around the ITU ;)

Not sure this is clear, as I ignore anything about your knowledge of the
above + the indications that have been given by the people from the TV. But
hope this is useful :)

Rayna

2013/2/21 <unixmecha...@gmail.com>

> Hi Ahmed,
>
> I don't have any materials ready but If I were you I would try to:
>
> 1-The internet as a large scale network with few points of controls and
> highlight that both good and bad(for various definitions of good and bad)
> content and usage exist
> 2-Censorship, both as an act of controlling information/content flow and
> the motivations, broken down to Political, Legal, Moral and how that
> affects the censorship techniques.
> 2.A- Various examples for the different types : China's censorship of
> Facebook, Netflix or Youtube blocking certain media content in certain
> countries because of legal/licensing issues, Restriction of content based
> because of legal reasons like Export control.
> 3-Regimes and governments most often associated with censorship:
> totalitarian regimes
> 4-Censorshop techniques : ISP managed, Server side managed, Routing based,
> Transparent and non transparent proxies.
> 5-Determining if you are being censored
> 5-Bypassing the censors, VPNs, SSL/SSH tunneling,  proxies, anonymous
> proxies and the risks associated with them. P2P anonymity networks as a
> mean to bypass censorship.
> 6-The cost of censorship, in terms of latency, computing resources, and
> exposure to denial of service and privacy violation by interested 3rd
> party. This might be interesting to elaborate on how a censorship wall
> being an inline, whether at ISP or other level could present a risk to
> everyone passing through it in both terms of denial of service and in being
> a high valued target to breach since now a great information asset is being
> centralized somewhat.
>
> May also want to look at http://www.howtobypassinternetcensorship.org/
>

> Regards
> Mohamed
>

> On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:18:23 PM UTC+1, Ahmed Mekkawy wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I will be talking on on tv this saturday about censorship and how to
>> bypass it - from the technical POV- . I appreciate if anyone got any
>> material ( mainly videos or slides) that can help me in showing that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ---
>> Ahmed Mekkawy
>> Founder | CTO
>> www.SpirulaSystems.com
>>
>  --

"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

http://de.linkedin.com/in/raynas