Excellent analysis.

On 01/05/2017 11:54, Seref Arikan wrote:
Hi Bjørn,

I'll respond to your interpretation of aql in the git repo in a minute. But before I do that I'd like to thank you for asking the question and going into the trouble of putting this into a git repo because your question is pointing at an important issue we have at the moment: we don't have a well defined, formal semantics for AQL. This is my personal opinion and all disagreement is welcome.

AQL is a brilliant idea coined by Chunlan, Heath, Tom and Sam [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17911747 <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17911747>] but until recently, it was not more than a few wiki pages, it was not even part of the standard. It is now sitting next to other specifications but its documentation is mostly focusing on the syntax. The semantics of queries is mostly implied and vendors more or less arrive at the same conclusions intuitively. However, this is not good enough.

Personally I see AQL is the hidden treasure of openEHR, it has huge potential and it is the most likely candidate to implement lots of advanced use cases in an interoperable way. For that potential to be realised, AQL needs a clear description of its underlying semantics so that edge cases are clarified and vendors support the same behaviour. Otherwise, we'll lose the ability to build portable solutions that can be moved from point A to B even though both points are openEHR implementations.