Hi, there are several cases:

1. data recorded by the software: when a data element is added to the
composition by the software, doesn't need a UI element at all

2. recording null flavour: if no data is entered on the UI field (field is
not mandatory on UI), null_flavour is recorded on the element. null_flavour
can be set by the system, or there can be a null_flavour field on the UI to
let the user specify why there is no data on the field, on this case what
can be mandatory is the data field or the null_flavour for that field.

Hope that helps.

--
Ing. Pablo Pazos Gutiérrez
e: pablo.pa...@cabolabs.com