Hi Silje,

From my point of view, we need to differentiate between technical necessary
version increments and clinically necessary ones.
In CKM, we have tried to implement the technically necessary version increment,
which can always be increased by the clinician modeller.
In that sense the technically suggested version increment is a minimum
increment, but you can always opt to go higher.

Now, we seem to have a different idea about what technically necessary means
and indeed it is very complex (and I don’t think one is necessary better, just
different, as it depends on what you want to use the major version for). A
while ago, Thomas, Ian and I tried to fill in a spread sheet with some cases to
decide what is a major, minor, patch change…let’s say the differences, at least
initially, were high.

My main criteria for the technical level would be whether it is technically
guaranteed that data recorded using the old archetype can be read and
principally understood when using the new archetype.
But not vice versa…!
If you need to exchange data from new to old, there will be problems like you
describe below.
If you require this kind of compatibility to be a major change, you’ll end up
having many, many changes creating a new major version, essentially ignoring
that – this is, more or less  - what the minor version can be used for.
The one is intra-system, the other is inter-systems, in any direction, if you
like.

On the clinical level, you could – in an extreme case - even go so far that a
(alphabetically) miniscule change to the text or description of an at code can
be major version change if it (sufficiently) changes the semantics of the
element. There will be edge cases for this I suspect.

If any of the changes – in a concrete case - is critical from a clinical point
of view, I would then argue this needs to be a major change by the modeller,
even if technically it is just a patch or minor version change.

Using you examples below, if the new element (1.) is absolutely critical, it
may warrant a new major version, even if it is not mandatory (for reasons
discussed a few days ago on the list)
If a value is added to the internal value set (2.), I absolutely agree that,
this may change the meaning of the other values, especially in the “other” case.
I have argued the same way like you before, but I now think that it is a
clinical (or semantical/logical) decision, not a pure technical one, to make
this a major version change.

Adding a runtime name constraint (3.) is a major change from a technical point
already, in my view.
(More interesting in my view is if deleting a runtime name constraint is a
major change as well, I think so (and CKM agrees, surprisingly 😉 ), essentially
for what you argue below.

Widening cardinality/occurrence constraints (4.) would give you the problem you
describe.
I still think this is the prototype of what constitutes a minor version change.

We could of course consider requiring a technical change to be backward
compatible AND forward compatible, so that this works 100% under all
circumstances BETWEEN systems, in all directions. Then the order of old and new
doesn’t make a difference for the comparison. Most of the minor versions
wouldn’t exist, but be major version changes instead.

Cheers,
Sebastian