Rafal

We have seen this coming for some time and I would point out a few things
that seem clear:

1. That queries can be based across a number of EHRs or within one - the
oprimisation issues are somewhat different
2. That queries may return rows of data (like in current RDBS) or lumps of
data for viewing - 'data queries' or 'clinical queries'
3. Within each EHR the query may be limited to a specific composition
(transaction) type (ie and archetyped transaction)
4. Within transactions the query may be limited to specific organisers

All of these queries outlined to this point will return disparate data (even
if they are all entries) and will be very difficult to process - very useful
clinically. Examples are:

What examinations have been done in antenatal attendances
What therapies have been planned or implemented for people in outpatients in
the last week

Then we have queries that get to the data level - these will need to return
known data points in the entries. These will be accessed via paths. When
building these queries the enquirer will be asked which archetypes and which
paths (design time or run time) to return.

This would enable us to get a row of data such as:

For all patients who have had their blood pressure measured in antenatal
clinic - return the systolic and diastolic blood pressures and their weight.
For all patients who are on beclomethasone inhalers return the name and dose
of inhaled steroid and their peak flow measurements for the past year.

You will see that until the query addresses and entry archetype (like a
table in RDBS) you will only return information that is clinically readable
but difficult to process. The entries then become the equivalent of the
tables - the paths are the equivalent of the columns.

Some efficiencies come from running queries on one patient - when the query
engine can use the archetypes in that EHR as the set of archetypes on which
to query - you don't have to look if they are not there. Also, archetypes
become the bases of indexes.

Cheers, Sam

http://www.deepthought.com.au/ci/rii/Output/mainTOC.html

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org