Bhupinder Singh <bobdog at sancharnet.in> wrote:

> You have factored the details relating to reporting. A major issue is the
> transmission and reading of the result by the clinician. Ther is to be time
> event to be recorded as to when the clinician who has direct control of the
> patient has read it.  A legal issue that will come up at times is that the
> report shall be claimed to have  been sent and the consultant clinician
> shall claim not to have received it and thus not having  read it. A timed
> event for both these activities need to be available. Further there is a
> need for alerting the clinicians once the report is ready.

Agree with all this. However,  the EHR on its own cannot force people to read
things. So applications need to create alerts as necessary, and then what
happens next is dependent on policies. For example, one strategy is:

* if an item is added to the EHR, say a prelim test result at time t1, and a
clinician in the group having access to the EHR makes a decision and commences
an action (e.g. new investigation which is more expensive) for this patient at
time t5, then a reasonable rule of operation is that the clinician must have
made this decision with knowledge of the result recorded at t1, since in a
shared EHR to which he/she has access, there is no reason why not; if they
have not done so, they might be in breach of their duty.

The arguments against this working might be that if the EHR is bady organised,
there might be no easy way to find the relevant item(s) whcih might influence
the decision at time t5. So at least problem-threading and/or episode
classification is needed...

Another strategy would be:

* the clinician receives an alert of some kind (e..g email) and is required to
go into the EHR and change the test result in a field which means "seen and
accepted by treating clinician; dated xx/xx/xx hh:mm:ss". This acceptance is
now in the EHR, and it can be seen that it must have been part of the basis of
the next actions by the clinician. However, later actions by others might
still occur without knowledge of this accepted test result - unless the first
strategy is followed.

So - I think that the first strategy is at least needed, but it does not mean
that there does not need to be countersigning etc within the clinical workflow
somewhere the question is - how much of this finds its way into the EHR?

- thomas beale

--
Deep Thought: http://www.deepthought.com.au
openEHR: http://www.openEHR.org