Dear all,

as some of you may have noticed, the openEHR Architectural Review Board
was created some months ago, and is now in action (see
http://www.openehr.org/about_openehr/t_arb.htm). Its job is to manage
changes to openEHR.

The ARB is currently processing a number of CRs (Change Requests) which
have been raised and are targetted to openEHR release 1.0 (for the list,
see
http://www.openehr.org/repositories/spec/latest/publishing/CM/CRs/CR_by_release.html

- toward bottom).

As part of the process, we feel that certain CRs would benefit from
community feedback - in particular, anything which actually changes
models or specifications, and would cause changes in current openEHR
software projects being. (Note: CRs which are processed by the ARB alone
are generally to fix errors in documentation or software, and don't
appear to require much decision-making as such. In other words, we try
not to waste your time with no-brainers!).

To add some focus to this process, I have suggested making a post for
each CR to the openEHR technical group, in order to start a discussion
thread. There will accordingly be a series of posts like this one, each
for an openEHR CR. We anticipate two kinds of response:
- technical feedback
- feedback about timing of implementation, impact, etc

The CR to be considered in this post is CR-000101- Improve Modelling of
Structure classes. See
<http://www.openehr.org/repositories/spec/latest/publishing/CM/CRs/CR-000101.txt>

. This CR proposes a change to the Data structure classes which makes
for more efficient data representation. The current model is at
<http://www.openehr.org/repositories/spec/latest/publishing/architecture/reference_model/data_structures/im/REV_HIST.html>

The PDF attached to this post shows the proposed change, in the form of
a UML diagram for the data structure classes.
In the PDF, the 2nd UML diagram is the important one; if you compare it
to the existing model  you will see that in the new model, each data
structure type (ITEM_TABLE etc) now has its own connection to the
appropriate CLUSTER or ELEMENT type. Previously, ITEM_LIST would have
had a CLUSTER then a bunch of ELEMENTs; now it just has a list of
ELEMENTs. There are of course still far more efficient ways to implement
these data structure classes; my preferred proposal for the future is
that the model specifies only interfaces, and implementors do whatever
they want; they just have to implement one method, namely the
"as_hierarchy" method you see in the class ITEM_STRUCTURE - this is the
one that guarantees that each data structuer can be converted to a CEN /
openEHR / CDA hierarchical CLUSTER/ELEMENT form, as required for
interoperable EHR Extracts / Documents. However, the simpler change
proposed here is probably preferable for the moment.

The DSTC in Brisbane, Australia is currently working on an openEHR
implementation, and have analysed the XML data resulting from the
current model; their analysis shows that this proposed change would
reduce the amount of duplication in XML structures; I would expect
anyone working with openEHR and XML would come to a similar conclusion;
implementors' comments very welcome.

Close of RFC: 23 July 2004.

regards,

- Thomas Beale

CTO Ocean Informatics (http://www.OceanInformatics.biz)
Hon. Research Fellow, University College London

openEHR (http://www.openEHR.org)
Archetypes (http://www.oceaninformatics.biz/adl.html)
Community Informatics (http://www.deepthought.com.au/ci/rii/Output/mainTOC.html)