Dear Rodrigo,

The Reference Model defines a generic model of any document.
And is mapped onto (into) the persistence layer.
Archetypes are constraints on the Reference Model but are formed
using its own meta-model.

Your possibility number 1 is not correct.
Possibility 2 is correct.

Real data is 'validated' (better: defined) using the Archetype (the
constraints)
And the archetypes are validated (defined) using the archetype meta-
model.

Gerard

--  <private> --
Gerard Freriks, arts