On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:03 +1000, Peter Gummer wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim, you're reminding me of the old days when I programmed in Delphi,

Ahhh yes.  The good old days of Clipper.  :-)

> In Python's case, I imagine that the root cause of the problem would be that
> it's an interpreted language. Is this why circular imports cause trouble in
> Python?

Well, first of all Python doesn't have the concept of Interfaces in the
language.  This is added by another library that abuses the 'class'
statement to create them.  More on this issue in followup emails.

> Can you fix the problem by putting the two interfaces in the same module?

Nope.  In fact I started with this approach and it was MUCH worse.

> Does one of these work for you?

Nope.  They aren't the same problem.

> - Peter
>
> P.S. Your posts to the mailing lists are always interesting, Tim, but those
> of us using Microsoft Outlook (and its successor Windows Live Mail) have to
> go to considerable effort to read them, because the messages appear empty
> with the content as an attachment. I realise that this is because of a
> defect in those applications, but you are one of only two people in all the
> various lists that I subscribe to who send emails in this form, so I'm
> certainly not going to all the trouble of moving to a new email client. I
> know of one person who simply deletes your posts because of this issue. (For
> the benefit of people using these email clients, I've manually pasted your
> message in full below.)

Thanks for this reminder Peter.  The problem is manifested in the way
that Outlook Express and it's successor(s) handle MIME types.  I
digitally sign all of my outgoing email.  I think it is the right thing
to do and if the world ever catches on then we could eliminate SPAM with
simple filters that dump all unsigned/unauthenticated email.  However, I
realize that I am in a 1% minority and I try to remember to subvert this
issue by creating an attachment to my emails.  This (somehow) causes
those email clients to correctly display the text (see my attached
graphic). I often forget to attach something and without it, that causes
certain clients to display my text as an attachment.

I have also had several corporate email systems reject my emails because
of the signature.  They seem to think it's a virus.  Go figure; a more
'certain' email is rejected due to sociological and technological
ignorance.   I remain steadfast though and will hopefully remember to
add the attachment so people don't have to reach for the delete
button.

Though I am sure many people go into the ignore mode upon receiving
email from me. :-)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services