Adam Flinton wrote:
> Equally if a text editor opens an ADL, assumes UTF-8 & puts on a BOM
> then the Archetype editor dies ...

I assume you mean the Java Archetype Editor, Adam. The Ocean Archetype
Editor accepts ADL files with or without the BOM.

There are pros and cons whether tools should put a BOM at the start of
ADL files.

* As Thomas pointed out, tools that are not Unicode-aware may blow up if
the BOM is present.

* On the other hand, if you omit the BOM then Unicode-aware tools have a
big problem when they open a file. What encoding should they assume?
Some tools like Windows Notepad seem to be very clever at figuring it
out, but others that I have tried in the past (Visual Studio 2005, Vim
6.4 and Mac TextEdit) misinterpret BOM-less UTF-8 files as Latin-1.

- Peter