Dear all,

These days I have been thinking about the legal issues involving the use of
existing archetypes. I have seen that openEHR archetypes available on the
Clinical Knowledge Manager are all "Copyright (c) 200X openEHR Foundation".
But, what does this exactly implies? I can download them freely, but can I
use them in a commercial environment? Must I make public specialized
archetypes or adaptations from them? Obviously, "I" is not me but anybody
:-)

I have searched the openEHR page and wiki but I have not found anything
about this topic, just a point in the copyright notice of the specifications
linking to the non-existing page
http://www.openehr.org/free_commercial_use.htm

I think it would be good to start a discussion about licensing. I'm not
talking about open source implementations, but about the archetype artifacts
that anyone can develop. A first approach that can be made is the use of a
Creative Common license. I think that one of them can fit the interests of
the openEHR community. In my opinion, the main aspects that a license for
archetypes must cover are:

- To maintain the attribution to the original author (the openEHR Foundation
or whoever)
- To allow a commercial use of archetypes (like or not, health is a
business)
- To allow modifications and derivations of the archetype.
- On behalf of the openEHR community, the new derived archetypes should be
made public with the same conditions. This is arguable and could be
eliminated.

As I said, one of the Creative Commons licenses covers all this properties.
It is the Attribution Share Alike license: "This license lets others remix,
tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial reasons, as long as they
credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. This
license is often compared to open source software licenses. All new works
based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also
allow commercial use."
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses

Finally, this leads to a secondary point. Maybe, the "copyright" attribute
of an archetype should be renamed to "license" to best fit the conditions of
usage of archetypes.

What's your opinion?

--
David Moner Cano
Grupo de Inform?tica Biom?dica - IBIME

Universidad Polit?cnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3? planta
Valencia ? 46022 (Espa?a)