David,
the AOM certainly doesn't care, you are right about that. Since we treat
that as the normative form, we should logically say it is the same as
UML, i.e. a guideline for readability. I think the ADL parsers do use
this convention at the moment to match class and attribute names more
easily, but I imagine this dependency could be removed as well. I will
need to investigate on this.

- thomas

On 11/11/2010 07:21, David Moner wrote:

> No comments or opinions about this?
>

> 2010/11/4 David Moner <damoca at upv.es <mailto:damoca at upv.es>>
>
>     While working with archetypes for different reference models we
>     have faced a problem regarding the uppercase/lowercase rules for
>     naming archetype nodes at ADL.
>
>     The ADL specifications imposes the following rule: "A type name is
>     any identifier with an initial upper case letter, followed by any
>     combination of letters, digits and underscores. A generic type
>     name (including nested forms) additionally may include commas and
>     angle brackets, but no spaces, and must be syntactically correct
>     as per the UML. An attribute name is any identifier with an
>     initial lower case letter, followed by any combination of letters,
>     digits and underscores. Any convention that obeys this rule is
>     allowed" (ADL 1.5 draft, page 26).
>
>     However, at the UML specifications I have only found the following
>     style guidelines: "Capitalize the first letter of class names (if
>     the character set supports uppercase)" and "Begin attribute and
>     operation names with a lowercase letter". But I understand these
>     as style recommendations and not as a mandatory specification
>     since they are accompanied with others such as: "Center class name
>     in boldface" and "Put the class name in italics if the class is
>     abstract".
>
>     In any case, as we all know, object-oriented programming is not
>     just UML. We can use other modeling tools or programming languages
>     that do not impose the uppercase/lowercase rule. And moreover, at
>     the AOM specifications I cannot find any reference about the fact
>     that the rm_type_name String should begin with uppercase or the
>     rm_attribute_name String with lowercase.
>
>     For example, all the attributes of the CDISC ODM standard are
>     defined starting with an uppercase.
>
>     So, from a generic perspective of the dual modeling process, I
>     think that archetypes (or more specifically, ADL) should not
>     impose rules in this aspect. What's your opinion?
>
>     David

*
*