I too have no problem with this custom serialisation as I have a hand-coded
serializer that does the job (I gave up on the auto-generated ones years
ago).

However, I think we need to go back a step and get agreement from the
community what the most important features of an XML serialization are:
readability, size, auto-generation etc.  Once we get some sort of ranking
then we can score each implementation choice accordingly.

I personally don't see the need to have consistently between different
serialization formats, I think we should make the decisions that are best
for the particular format.  Having said that, I would be surprised if the
logical features of the different formats would be different unless there
intended use are dramatically different (i.e. the importance of
auto-generation is likely to be the same for both JSON and XML).

Heath