How can anyone say that HL7 is open in any fashion?  You are not free
to distribute it outside of your organization except in small parts so
that the specifications cannot reproduced.

See the paragraph immediately preceding the one previously quoted here:

"HL7 CORPORATE/ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERS are authorized to:

    reproduce and distribute Material on an internal basis solely for
use within their organization;
    reproduce and distribute excerpts of Material (not entire domains
or chapters) to any customers of a product or service implementing
those Material, provided that the HL7 Access database may not be
included, either in whole or in part, in any product intended for
direct or indirect commercial resale;
    use excerpts of Material to create customized implementation guides; and
    use Material in the development of software applications and
messaging systems for direct use or distribution without additional
licensing fees."

There is NOTHING open about this, fee paid or not.

--Tim