We currently ignore this constraint as most multi line cases don't need the
complexity of dv-text and the parsing overhead to get a list of dv-text is
significant, and as you say we don't have a container of dv-paragraph
unless you use multiple elements which is a heavy solution.
I don't think dv-docunent is the right term to use considering the
correlation between composition and document in cda-openEHR mappings. We
have talk in the past about an element supporting a list of values, e.g.
dv-list, otherwise another glyph grouping term should be used.
Having said that, there certainly are issues with using new lines in
dv-text, in particular which new line character sequence scheme to use but
also how these are represented in XML, as literal characters or emcoded.
Finally there is an issue when applying xslt to these new line
representations, we currently need to support all possibilities. Using
dv-paragraph would make it explicit but has overhead and issues described
above.
I think we need to support new lines in dv-text for simple scenarios but we
need normalized guidance on XML representation, while ensuring we can
properly support dv-paragraph for more complex situations in future.

Heath